What are slot games?
Things to look out for when selecting a slot game
When you’re choosing a slot game, you’re going to have fun on the ones that catch your eye and intrigue you. But if you’re in the mood to develop a strategy by comparing stats, there are a number of things you could look out for. First off, consider the Return to Player (RTP) percentage. This indicates how much a slot pays out to a player, so an RTP of 97% means 97% of all money paid into a slot game will be paid out to winners, with the remaining 3% going to the casino itself. This doesn’t mean you will always lose 3% of your money on this game, simply that, in general, for all players across all time, this is the payout. You can expect slot games to have an RTP range around 92-97% but remember, each spin has an equally random chance of delivering a win. There really is no way to predict how lucky you will get!
You might also gain a preference for volatility, which essentially indicates the game’s risk factor. Low volatility slots mean you have a good shot at winning, but the wins are likely to pay out a little less. High volatility slots mean the chances of winning are rarer, but when you do get a win, they pay out big.
How do I play slot games?
Slots are usually formed of 3 or 5 reels with 5 rows, though some slots like to mix it up a bit by using unconventional formations, for example, some are arranged in a swirl and the icons will follow the spin round.
First thing’s first: place your bet. The game will let you select the value of your bet, which you could make 10¢ or $1 for example. Betting more money will mean you win more money, but it doesn’t increase the chances of you winning more. Just as you stand to win more by betting more money, you also stand as much chance of losing more, so be sure to only put in what you can afford to lose.
Next, you’ll hit a button to set the reels into motion. You can choose between manually pressing the spin button for each spin, or pressing auto-spin to spin the reels on auto-pilot. This choice does not affect your chances to win or lose. Some players think that they have the power to stop the reels at the point of a win, but the Random Number Generator (RNG) that makes the game function ensures that this is not possible. Similarly, the speed at which you spin the reels has no impact on your chances of winning.
When the spin comes to a stop, the next thing to understand is paylines, or the formation of the symbols lining up across the reels. Many formations can give you a win—they might be straight across, diagonal, zig zag, or a number of different clusterings! If your spin causes symbols to match up across these paylines, you win!
You can find out what the paylines are and how to win in the game information, along with the value of each symbol on the reels. On some slots you can also choose how many pay lines you play with.
You will find slots with tons of cool bonus features, such as Wilds or Scatter Symbols. These will be explained to you as you go along the game, and serve to spice up the action and make it more exciting. Some slots might also give you the option to “gamble”, where you can risk your winnings on the flip of a coin for example.
Now strap in, you’re ready to play!
When registering with a casino, definitely look out for their welcome deals for new customers. By taking advantage of these, you will be gifted free spins, money back on your first deposit, or a combination of both! This gives you the opportunity to make wins for free (as you won’t wager any of your own money on your first spins), so they are totally worth using. We have listed each casino’s welcome deal alongside our recommendation so that you can easily spot which deal seems most appealing to you. Be sure to check the casino’s terms and conditions to be aware of the minimum deposit or wagering requirements before you start!
Now that you’re all clued up, you’re ready to start spinning! Check out our recommendations for the best online slot sites and enjoy your gameplay, safe in the knowledge you’ve found a trusted, reputable site.